July 31, 2014

Nirvana

"A first sign of the beginning of understanding is the wish to die. "
--Franz Kafka


In school days, doordarshan TV serials and a generation old movies always depicted an unforgettable theme, that of a yogi doing prayers in the woods or in the rocks and getting Moksha. Even text books talked about how puranas, itihasas and the mighty upanishads talked about getting Moskha as the ultimate aim of any individual. Buddhas's nirvana was another word, that I heard so many times but never once understood what it means (other than that it is a cool word to use once in a while :-)).

The essence behind all these catch words is the concept of transmigration, as an immortal soul migrating from one body to another after death, and the highest aim of an individual should be to get out of this cycle of rebirth. Why do we think soul migrates from one body to another, I still haven't figured out. But I now realize the idea behind avoiding cycle of rebirth. I now see why learned men have no sympathies for human life and day to day toil for existence. After all, one cannot miss the reality of our struggles in a soulless world. And after gaining certain knowledge of history and causes of events around us, seeing the inevitable in front of our eyes, one cannot fail to realize our meaningless existence in this meaningless world.

To counter this skepticism and hopeless existence some learned men have offered religion as hope giver to the ignorant. More than everything, religion gives a man a reason to live, something to aspire for, something to look forward in the future. But what of irreligious men like me, I sense no God to protect me, to bless me, to guide me, to bring good days for me. I am alone to fight a tearful battle in a heartless world. Now I see why ignorance is a bliss, and why that religious fundamentalist in a remote village enjoys his life more than these so called modern people like me, struggling to find out a reason for their existence.

With this background, the whole concept of suicide now becomes as significant as death itself. I now see a raison d'ĂȘtre for the philosphy of suicide and I think it's the right time to find out what Camus had said on suicide.

No comments: